1979, Musical Moments – MM 488 (LP) Paul Plishka – Sings songs of Ukraine / Павло Плішка співає пісні України
01. Oй, Дніпре / Oh Dnieper – M.Lysenko Text: T.Shevchenko
02. Балада про Довбуша / Ballad about Dovbush – arr.: D.Zador, folk text
03. Безмежнеє поле / The boundless field – M.Lysenko, text: I.Franko
04. Ой, поля / Oh fields – V.Barvinsky, text: A.Konysky
05. Про дівчиноньку / About a young maiden – arr.: Y. Meytus, folk text
06. Ой, чого ти дубе / Cossack’s longing – arr.: K.Stetsenko, folk text
07. Як засядем, браття, коло чари / Drinking song – arr.: L.Revutsky, folk text
08. Гетьмани / Oh hetmans! – M.Lysenko, text: T.Shevchenko
09. Пісня про Байду / Song about Bayda – arr.: M.Verykivsky, folk text
10. Чуєш, брате мій / Song of the cranes – L.Lepkyi , arr.: L.Revutsky, text: B.Lepkyi
11. Минають дні / Days pass – M.Lysenko, text: T.Shevchenko
12. Ой чого ти, Дніпре / The mighty Dnieper – M.Fomenko, text: Anon.
Perhaps once in a generation comes a truly great bass voice.
This is the generation of PLISHKA. The complete voice – big, sonorous, full of depth and feeling. Now PAUL PLISHKA brings his greatness to the songs of his Ukrainian heritage.
MR. PLISHKA, leading bass with the Metropolitan Opera, has recorded many complete operas with the world’s greatest singers. However, this is his first solo record. It seems altogether fitting that it be Ukrainian – the music of his forefathers!
THOMAS HRYNKIW – American Pianist of Ukrainian decent, completed his training at the Manhattan School of Music. In October 1967, he won the Gold Medal in the Geneva competition and subsequently made his European debut. A successful soloist, he is also one of the most sought after chamber music players in the United States. He currently appears with the Newport Music Festival, the Hillyer- Lucarelli-Hrynkiw trio, the new American trio, L’Ensemble, and the Audubon Quartet.
COVER PHOTO BY JIM HEFFERNAN
MUSICAL MOMENTS, 360 PALISADE AVENUE, BOGOTA, N.J. 07603